U7 Richard-Wagner-Platz: rails and music

Two things I am truly fond of are all forms of travelling by train and places and things that are in some way or other telling a story. So I was more than happy that my last post that connected both of them - Vineta: the story of a train station - has been read by so many. 

The post inspired me to go underground and see one of the other 'story-telling' train stations in Berlin (hej, there are so many one has heard of but never actually been at, right?).


And, what is more, I chose a station linked to a third thing in life I love: music. Richard-Wagner-Platz (U7) turned out to be a lovely and very colourful train station. It holds the name since 1935 but has already been built in 1906. The great entrance hall is decorated with mosaics in the Byzantine style by an unknown artist. They first belonged to the troubadour hall at the hotel Bavaria and are dating to 1903.
The walls along the tracks narrate Wagner's famous works in pictures, from the ghostship in The Flying Dutchman (1843) to Tristan and Isolde (1865). 


And in the middle of the platform the pillars holding the ceiling are decorated with smaller illustrations, stage models and additional information for various historic productions of these operas. And although I am no particular admirer of Wagner, these pictures were so magical, that they had me delving into the libretti and listening to the music once I arrived at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment